The BET Sorptometer uses Liquid Nitrogen for its tests.
PMI's BET Sorptometer accurately measures total surface area (via single and multi-point methods), adsorption and desorption isotherms, mean pore size, pore size distribution, pore volume, and pore structure. PMI's BET Sorptometer can assess a wide variety of samples, including powders and bulk solids, and can analyze both micropores and mesopores. Chemisorption of a wide variety of chemicals is measurable.
Volumetric and continuous-flow methods are utilized to characterize samples for the physical properties. For all precision volumetric instruments, the equilibrium volume of a gas adsorbed on a sample can be determined by measuring the decrease in pressure of a known volume of adsorbate gas at a controlled pressure and temperature. This decrease in pressure is the result of the expansion of the adsorbate gas as it is released from the manifold to the sample cell and the adsorption of gas on to the sample. On increasing pressure of the vapor close to the equilibrium vapor pressure, the vapor condenses in pores. The pressure yields pore diameter and volume of condensed liquid yields pore volume.
You will need the Adobe Flash player to view this file. You can get it for free here.
PMI's BET Sorptometer has a multitude of applications in industries worldwide. Industries that utilize the versatile BET Sorptometer include the automotive, battery, and pharmaceutical. Specific applications include the characterization of catalysts in the chemical industry, pulp characterization in the paper industry, and testing of the powder pre-cursors to predict adhesion and final porosity in the powder metallurgy industry.
Applicable industries are:
For more information about applications please see our other technical papers.
- Handles micropores and mesopores
- Evacuation and testing under sub-freezing to elevated temperature ranges
- Unlimited number of user defined data points
- Windows-based software handles all control, measurement, data collection, and report generation; manual control also possible
- Compatible with Windows 95 or higher
- Real-time visual test display depicts testing status and results throughout operation
- Non-destructive testing
- Length of test varies from 2.5 hrs to 2 days depending on sample type and tests performed
- Wide range of acceptable sample types and sizes
- Multiple sample chambers available
- Minimal maintenance required
- Chemisorption over a wide range of pressures and temperatures